How We Are Different
The Eco Inn at the Milkweed Mercantile is an entirely "green" alternative to a traditional B&B, demonstrating that sustainability does not have to be about deprivation – there can be beauty, abundance and joy in living lightly on the earth.
Some of our improvements on traditional inns:
- Our entire building is commercial scent free. All linens are washed in unscented soap and hung in the sun and wind to dry. Any paint, stain or varnish used is no- or low-VOC – we've done our homework, and will tolerate no "greenwashing" here! Cleaning materials are fairly simple – lots of vinegar, baking soda and the like. Nothing toxic, nothing stinky, just clean and fresh.
- The building is entirely nonsmoking.
- No central air conditioning. The windows open, the breezes are fresh, and the air smells wonderful. The rooms have thermal shades to help insulate the windows.
- All materials used in construction are reclaimed, recycled or sustainable. We take great care in making our building as safe, comfortable and beautiful as possible.
- Breakfasts are hearty, organic and delicious. Vegans, vegetarians and omnivores will all find food to enjoy. You will not have to explain why you choose to eat as you do. We respectfully and happily craft seasonal delights for every palate, and everyone is welcome.
- All food waste is composted for future use in our garden. The few items that are not compostable (paper, plastic, metal) are recycled. We do not purchase/serve anything in individual containers, resulting in less waste all around.
- All paper products used are made of post-consumer recycled paper.
- Since we generate our own electricity, we use energy-saving technology throughout the building. From compact florescent bulbs to insulated window shades, power strips to thoughtful building design, you’ll go home with dozens of new ideas to help you save resources – both financial and electrical!
- Heat is provided by wood, which comes from several local sources, including a pallet mill and a furniture manufacturer. Both provide us with scraps (perfectly sized for our wood-stoves!) that would otherwise be burned as waste.
- Pets are welcome in our one downstairs room. If you have pet allergies, you will not be affected as this room is totally self-contained, and even has its own entrance. We do this because we love our pets and want our friends/guests to be able to bring theirs along, too.